Friday, March 2, 2007

Which is worse- bacterial or viral meningitis?

I had a wonderful day yesterday. The kind of day that makes you really supremely happy to live in such a great city. In the early afternoon I went to the Embarcadero YMCA (http://www.ymcasf.org/Embarcadero/) to join. I really liked the vibe- inclusive, community-oriented and diverse. There's a lap pool, machines and some interesting exercise classes. I'm going for real on Monday. After that I went to the Ferry Building and browsed through the shops there, looking at the imported wines, fresh cheeses, fancy organic honeys....mmmm... I got a cup of jasmine tea and read for a while. Then I headed over to the Embarcadero Cinema to see Painted Veil.

When I walked into the darkening theater at 3:30 on a Thursday afternoon, I could see a few heads poking above the seats. All of these heads were gray. This is not unusual- I tend to like movies where I'm most often the only person under 50 there. I sat down and listened to the conversation of two elderly ladies behind me:

Lady one: "So, I asked the doctor, which is worse: bacterial or viral meningitis? He said bacterial!"
Lady two: "Oh gosh. So will it get better if he takes medicine?"

Skip a beat a few minutes, conversation has now moved to bottled water.

Lady one: "I just can't seem to open the Crystal Geyser water! I can open the Fiji water fine, the Sparkletts, too. But not the Crystal Geyser!"
Lady two: "Me too!!! I buy it at Trader Joe's and can never open it"
Lady one: "I have a doodad to open the waters in my car but always forget it."

Sigh.

The movie was great- a twisted love story set in China in the 1920s. After that I walked to the MUNI in the golden glow of the late afternoon. I love San Francisco. It's fantastic to actually be able to experience it during the weekday instead of simply commuting away.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Dana, you are so good! When I'm not fake-working-from-home, I'm darting from shop to shop, trying to avoid the Irish rain. And when it's not raining, I'm hurrying around because I know it will start raining at any second. You are GOOD and SMART to enjoy the glory that is San Francisco while you have the time. Also the gym is good. Sweating makes you prettier.

Sarah M. said...

"Doodad"... classic!