Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Fascination with Author Photos

Since I can remember, I've had a problem reading a book if the photo of the author on the dustjacket of the book, or in the back of the book was bad. I have seriously stopped reading a book if the photo of the author is bad.

What makes a bad author photo, you may ask....

Seems like these qualities stand out to me. But, feel free to add your own.

* Author coyly looking askance
* Author staring into camera with a "hard-hitting" journalist face
* Bad hats (think along the lines of a beret or cowboy hat)
* Props
* Fuzzy, Barbara-Walters-esque lighting
* Leather jackets
* Pets (file under props)
* Swarthy mustaches
* Obviously exotic locations (look at me! I'm so successful I can travel a lot. Read my book!)
* Sexy, low-cut tops: I'm cute, and I can write.
* Turtleneck sweaters
* Pipes
* Profile-only shots
* High-school graduation portrait set-up

No comments: