Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random Walks

Lately, I've been getting up most mornings early and taking walks around my neighborhood and surrounds. I enjoy the quiet of the streets, the gray light, and the misty (or sometimes fierce) rain and watching the city wake up. There's something so cozy about seeing people in their apartments shuffle around in their bathrobes, sip coffee and nestle in for some morning news in the warm light of their apartment. I can't help but feel cozy myself and excited for the day.

I always come home from my walks feeling connected with my community. I feel like my parents when I give a hearty "Good morning!" to a neighbor walking their dog. I nod at fellow walkers or those with more stamina running. I see people walking by with warm cups of coffee planning for their day. I've gotten to know some regulars too. I make up little nicknames for them like: "Ms. Sheepdog" (she has a large sheepdog...creative, I know) or "sweet gay man with coffee" (also pretty self-explanatory).

I've also gotten to know my neighborhood better and come up with a unique appreciation for it that I don't get in the harsh daylight hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds nice, but i just thought: if i did this in my neighborhood, i'd have the exact opposite reaction. i would be stuck thinking about how terrible human beings are, and how disconnected with the community i felt. i'd end up at taqueria can-cun, or, worse, at one of those bars that open at 6 a.m. i'd want to tell stories about homeless people and human feces. i'd continue to wonder why those same old boarded-up storefronts are still boarded up. i'd get pissed off at the people who honk their horns loudly on a residential street at 6 in the morning.

shall i go neighborhood shopping?

Dana K said...

Perhaps- but I actually leave my actual neighborhood for a fancier neighborhood for a portion of the walk. Head to Noe. Shhh........

;)